Working in Thailand
In order to be allowed to work in Thailand, foreigners must be in possession of a valid work permit. However, this is only granted if the foreigner has a qualification which is required in Thailand. Details are described in the "Alien Employment act". There is a long detailed list of forbidden occupations for foreigners. The Board of Investment (BOI) facilitates the process of obtaining a work permit for investors with sufficient investments. This also applies to the foreign personnel of foreign companies.
A condition for the distribution of a work permit is an existing "Non immigrant visa type B" or a permanent "Residence Permit".
Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kingdom of Thailand
Non-Immigrant Visum Type B: http://www.mfa.go.th/....
The work permit is authorised dependent upon activity and job. In practice, the first step is to find an employer. Then a work permit can be requested for this specific job. An application for a new work permit must follow with a change of job, even if it is the exact same occupation.
Board of Investment of Thailand
Investment : http://www.boi.go.th/...
Work Permits: http://www.boi.go.th/...
Jobs in Thailand
Restricted professions for foreigners
- Work in agriculture, animal breeding, forestry, fishery or general farm supervision
- Masonry, carpentry, or other construction work
- Wood carving
- Driving motor vehicles or non-motorized carriers, except for piloting international aircraft
- Shop attendant
- Supervising, auditing or giving services in accounting, except occasional international auditing
- Gem cutting and polishing
- Hair cutting, hair dressing and beautician work
- Hand weaving
- Mat weaving or making of wares from reed, rattan, kenaf, straw or bamboo pulp
- Manufacture of manual fibrous paper
- Manufacture of lacquerware
- Thai musical instrument production
- Manufacture of nielloware
- Goldsmith, silversmith and other precious metal work
- Manufacture of bronzeware
- Thai doll making
- Manufacture of mattresses and padded blankets
- Alms bowl making
- Manual silk product making
- Buddha image making
- Manufacture of knives
- Paper and cloth umbrella fabrication
- Hat making
- Brokerage or agency work, except in international business
- Pottery or ceramics
- Manual cigarette rolling
- Legal or litigation service
- Clerical or secretarial work
- Manual silk reeling and weaving
- Thai character type-setting
- Hawking business
- Tourist guide or tour organizing agency
- Architectural work
- Civil engineering work
All data is provided without guarantee!
I, the operator of www.Siam-Info.com (Heinz Klaus Thiesen), have no business connection with the enterprises specified above. I therefore take no responsibility for the information supplied by the enterprises specified above. The contributions represent my own personal opinion.